Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Led by Jesus... like Jesus... to Jesus: 16

John 5:30-47
In John 20, the author states the purpose of the book: “so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.” This passage in John 5 is a continuation of Jesus revealing these things to the Jewish leaders, stating that there are four witnesses who bear testimony to his identity:
1. John (the Baptist) “has borne witness to the truth” (v33)
2. His miracles: “For the works that the Father has given me to accomplish, the very works that I am doing, bear witness about me that the Father has sent me” (v36)
3. The Father “has himself borne witness about me” (v37)
4. The Scriptures: “You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life” (v40-41)

How did they miss it? The fourfold witness of prophet, miracles, the Father, and Scripture, all point to the fact that Jesus is God-in-the-flesh; deity dwelling in human form. He was the fulfillment of God’s divine plan from before the foundation of the earth, come to be the Messiah, our deliverer, our Savior!

All praise to you, Lord Jesus, for you have revealed the Father to us! Thank you that we have life through faith in you. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment