Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Led by Jesus... like Jesus... to Jesus: 29

John 12:1-11
Jesus returned to Bethany and enjoyed a dinner with Mary, Martha, and Lazarus. Mary honored Jesus by pouring expensive perfume on his feet. When Judas objected, Jesus rebuked him, because her sacrifice was appropriate in light of his upcoming death and burial, and the fact that as God in the flesh, he was worthy to receive honor. In this simple but costly act, Mary worshiped Jesus, expressing her love and devotion to him.

Being led more by Jesus involves worshiping him, and by example, could we say that true worship always involves a cost to us? Be it our time, our pride, our financial resources, our sleep…? When King David sinned by numbering Israel, God sent word to David to build an altar and offer sacrifices at the threshing floor of Ornan. But when Ornan offered to give the property and the supplies to worship God, David refused, “No, but I will buy them for the full price. I will not take for the LORD what is yours, nor offer burnt offerings that cost me nothing.” (1 Chronicles 21:24, ESV).

Does my worship of God cost me anything? Am I willing to linger at Jesus feet in the morning instead of rushing off to a busy day of tasks and meetings? Lord, may I be more like Mary, willing to sacrifice what is precious to me in order to worship you!

No comments:

Post a Comment